Tuesday, March 27, 2007

We are half way there!


I loved the General Roots and Prefixes handouts. I kind of knew that by figuring out the prefix of a word one could guess the meaning of the word. But the handout had more than I anticipated. Every time I think that I may be falling back on my work Dr. Rivera sure know how to introduce subjects that perk me back to this course. Loved the neat way of introducing “The Poor Old Dog”—webbing. I will try and find a way to do this introduction with my RMIII 1st graders. They are reading about Jokey the overweight beagle that has to go to the health spa to lose weight!
I am bewildered that there are so many literacy programs to help our secondary/adult citizens. Every human being needs a chance to get back on the bandwagon that they missed. I mentioned about the life experience program. Here it is—hope it will help someone you know along the way:
http://www.nedp.org/old/index.cfm
The External Diploma Program grew out of a study that was designed to identify the reasons why many adults did not choose to earn a high school equivalency certificate through the GED testing process. That study led to the development of the EDP, an adult applied-performance, competency-based assessment program that awards a high school diploma to skilled adults who have acquired many of their high school level abilities through their life experience. As they complete the EDP process, adults demonstrate their abilities in a series of simulations that parallel job and life situations. They are evaluated according to established performance criteria instead of by comparison with others.A key feature that distinguishes EDP from other high school completion programs is that it is an assessment program, not an instructional program. Another key feature is that candidates are awarded a traditional high school diploma upon successful completion of program requirements rather than an equivalency certificate.
Happy Holidays!

2 comments:

Rich said...

You know, I'm now pondering about whether direct instruction should be replaced with a program that utilizes the strategies Dr. Rivera has shared with us. I really do think that they would be much more effective in helping especially struggling readers. Direct instruction has no strategy. It's just, well, boring.

Rich said...
This comment has been removed by the author.