I like that everyone shared their experiences in administering their Cloze tests to their students, especially the elementary teachers, Crystal and Sheila. Wow! I can't believe that their students are reading higher-than-their-grade-level literature! At least in my experience, I was startled to see the results of my students. For a 6.5 grade-level reading material, even (one of) my above-average students gave disappointing results. My below-average student even outperformed her. Now, all of sudden, after reading and discussing more about schema and all the other theories that help to explain how people read, what makes a person a good reader doesn't only involve how they perform academically. There are other factors and variables that come into play that ultimately determine a child's reading capacity.
Wow, so many very useful strategies to use in our teaching of reading. I like them all and can't wait to try them. It's nice to know that although these strategies are part of the assignments that we need to submit, we can also use them at our discretion. And who wouldn’t want to? I think are quite effective, not to mention very fun for the students.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment