Monday, March 12, 2007

The Cloze Practice Test & Brain Teasers

Wow, I just found out one effective tool in determining my students’ reading ability – the Cloze Test. I think that this test is powerful in that it gives teachers a clear understanding of their students’ literacy competence based on how they perform on it. Though the test only requires filling in the blanks, I also feel that it also checks to see if students are able to exhibit a number of things such as their vocabulary level, individual schema, reading prediction and comprehension based on passage context clues, exposure to reading material, and so on.

In addition to the introduction of the Cloze Test, I also like all of the activities that were shared, especially the ones that Dr. Rivera shared with us. I think they all are excellent activities, and I feel that they would be very good brain-teasers and stimulants for my students. Sometimes, I feel that my students need to take a break from all the assignments and projects they have to complete before the end of the third quarter (lately, I’ve been seeing it in their facial and bodily expressions). So, the puzzles in the handouts that she gave to us are all wonderful educational activities that I think all my students will undoubtedly enjoy doing for a change.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

YOu are so right about giving the students a break once in awhile, letting them do something fun. DI is so rigid, you should see my kindergarten students by the middle of the day. They look like they want to cry. Giving them somehting fun and challenging at the same time, saves the day and my sanity. Thanks!

Albert Caasi said...

Yes, the cloze test can be used in any text or passage of any book you want to choose. I think it is a great activity for comprehension and ESL related activities.

Ms. Sakisat said...

Wonderful! I did this also. My kids were having fun with the brain teasers. I also invited other teachers to participate in the brain teasers during our department meeting. Fun is learning also!