Monday, February 12, 2007
Transactional Theory
There were times when I would just read to get information and there were times I would be so engrossed in a book with emotions flowing. Now I know that there is a theory behind this reactions. The aesthetic and efferent stance clearly explained what I was not aware untill I read Rosenblatt's work. Now I will be able to share these stances with my students. The reflections on everyone's autobiography was entertaining. I found it amazaing that (I think) everyone's recollection of their first brush with literacy was in kindergarten or around the age of 5 or 6. The IRA's strong position statement that the school should initially provide literacy in the child's home language was interesting. As teachers it is important that we learn a little about our students' home language. Tomorrow, I am going to ask my students about their home language and maybe will learn how to say hello or goodbye in their language. The picture reflection brought out the different aspects in how we all see things differently. However, the underlying concept about the activity was all about cooperation, contribution, and succeeding in life. The acitivity reminds us that every child is different and to take what they know and build upon it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It's interesting about what the IRA posits in its position statement that it will be difficult for students to acquire a second language if they don't master theirs. I remember last school year when one of my Micronesian students spoke to her classmate in their own native language when she saw the look of confusion on her face following a class discussion. I actually noticed the both of them talking during instruction but played along. I hesitated to tap them only because I knew one was only helping the other.
I never realized how many theories there were on reading and writing until I started Grad classes. What amazes me about all of them is that every theory is based on something that someone does automatically or naturally. The theorists gave it a name and made it seem like a difficult process. At least that's the way I see it. I like things short and simple.
Post a Comment