Monday, February 12, 2007

Literacy autobiographies and the connection to Rosenblatt's transactional theory

Hello all!

I enjoyed hearing the oral version of your literacy autobiography. It's interesting to find out how each and every one of your development in reading and writing was unconventional. And good they are because I think that one of the best ways to learn something is by doing it in your own unique and preferred way.

You know, I forgot to mention that although I liked to show off as an elementary school kid when it came to reading out loud, I also hated it when my teachers would tell me what to read. I never liked my reading to be "prescribed." The things that my teachers would tell me what to read were almost always boring to me, and often, I would forget alot of the important parts to the reading because of this (yes, and to think this was in school, huh?). I liked to take my time so as to stir my imagination on the material or subject matter I was reading to better understand and go wild with it.

Now, having discussed more about the aesthetic stance of Rosenblatt's transactional theory, I now am convinced that at least this part of her theory gives me the understanding that the process of its development was carefully done - the researching, studying, and analying. It's like I can almost say to her, "Wow, was I one of your subjects before?" Rosenblatt had definitely created such a powerful theory, and a very convincing one, I should add.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

I know what you mean about having someone tell you what to read. I mean I don't resent the fact that there are certain things required for our courses, because I am an adult now and I chose this path, but when I was a kid, I only wanted to read what I liked and that was OK because that's how kids are.