
I kept trying to post for Activity 12 and I knew the screen didn't look the same as last semester. I told myself I would figure it out tonight and there was your email to the rescue. So I will try and get this discussion going.
Schema, is one of the most important words I believe I've learned throughout all of my classes. It has taught me that the best way to get a student interested in a book, is to make sure they can relate to it in some way. Teachers should use their knowledge of the community and their students and provide books and reading materials that connect closely to the student's life experiences, not theirs or the schools (Short, Harste & Burke, p. 170).
Sometimes we think our students are having a hard time answering questions because they are not comprehending the material. Maybe we are just asking the wrong question for the student to understand and connect. All students come to school with many literacy experiences; fast food signs, toothpaste boxes, road signs, cereal boxes (Harste, Woodward & Burke, 1984). Their literacy experiences at school need to build from their knowledge of environmental print.
So, fill your room with books, read to your students, observe which books they select and listen to their responses and always remember "schema". It's where you start.
No comments:
Post a Comment